Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Impressions of Lorenzo A. Sanford III and "A Time To Dance"

I'll be the first one to say that I am always ready to give me opinion, so when Paige asked me to write about Lorenzo's piece that we have been preparing for this Saturday's concert, I promised to be honest; I didn't like "A Time To Dance" at first. The first time I practiced it, there were bursts of atonality and difficult rhythm patterns that I simply could not understand how would work together.

HOWEVER

One rehearsal, Lorenzo came in to listen to and advise us on his piece. Whenever a composer comes to listen in on a rehearsal, it's intimidating and this instance was no exception. The thing that struck me the most about Lorenzo was his vision for his music. He knew exactly what he wanted each section to sound like and gave us specific examples to help us understand as well. After several times running over "A Time To Dance" with his suggestions and help, I really enjoyed the piece. It's the perfect balance of traditional and modern, with world influences that truly do make you want to dance. I hope that we continue to work with Lorenzo in the future because not only is he innovative and interesting, but also an AYS parent! It's great to use current composers that have connections with our community to inspire the younger generation of AYS singers in Training Choir and TCC, and I know that it is because of pieces like this that I have been a member for all of these years.

Come hear "A Time To Dance" this Saturday at Druid Hills United Methodist Church at 3pm or 8pm!

- Phoebe Warren, 8th year singer, Youth Chorale

No comments:

Post a Comment